Monday, June 8, 2009

Monday, June 8th

Took Burt back to the surgeon today, over the weekend he was running a slight fever and the drainage tube sites seemed to be getting red and warm. His blood pressure was low, due to the pain meds he's taking. Dr. V. said he was doing very well, medical-wise. They removed half of the staples and one of the drainage tubes, which Burt said really hurt. Sent Burt across the hall to get a couple blood tests, he's awful pale. We go back to see Dr. V. Thursday and then meet with the oncologist to see if follow up cancer care is needed. Hopefully by Thursday we'll have the pathology report.

I really have to thank everyone for their support, their words of comfort and caring. I never realized exactly how hard it is to be a caregiver for someone you love who is ill. Just knowing you all care helps me make it through another day. I have not been getting any sleep as Burt is up almost every hour during the night. It's hard for him to get comfortable but we try. The kids have been a big help, doing whatever they can to get us through this.

Such is life.

3 comments:

m1ch3113lee said...

I hope that Burt can start getting more sleep at night. Glad to hear that you have lots of support around you. I hope that Burt starts making leaps and bounds into feeling better. Hugs to you Sherrie.

Anonymous said...

We've all been thinking about you and should you need anything, even if its just an hour to take a shower and not rush, all you have to do is call.

Tess

Anonymous said...

Tell that guy to get well soon.....this is like a soap opera; I rush to see what is happening next! He is keeping me up at night worrying about him!You hang in there, too. You are doing a wonderful job and I know you can handle whatever they throw your way...if you have any questions or want a second opinion; just have one of the kids call my office...
260435-7086. I'll run what I know past one of the docs - Love you all - Conni