Wednesday, December 15, 2010

We said goodbye

We said goodbye to Burt on Monday, December 13th. Over 260 family and friends were there to pay their respects and to see him for one last time. I could not believe the number of people who knew him and loved him, that had something to say about how he lived his life, about how he touched their lives. Of course, I knew that my husband was a good man, but to see it confirmed in the eyes and the words of others was comforting. For that I am grateful.

His friend Don joked about how they could watch a hockey game with their eyes closed. I can’t remember how many times I would go downstairs and find them both asleep while the game went on. They always insisted they were not sleeping.

His friend John told us of being with Burt the day he found out the cancer was back, how angry and upset he was, until Dani came home and he changed back into “Daddy”, not letting her see his pain. His family always came first.

Dani talked about the family rule Burt set, that the first time you come to our house you are a guest. The second time you are family. She said by looking around the crowded room you should know that he considered most of the people there to be family.

Robert said it was hard to say goodbye to his Dad because he was also his best friend. He spoke of how hard it was to work with him sometimes, but only because his Dad set the bar so high.

I find it hard to believe he's gone. We will meet again someday. Until then, I will miss him every day and every hour.

Je t'aime, mon ami. Reposer en paix.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate I missed being there but there are tons of stories that make me laugh and smile when I think of him.. for example when he took the pen light put it up his nose turned it on and glowed red and said he was roudolph for dani and kayla when they were little.. Or always joking about tom missing me when they were sleeping in the back of trucks in baltimore working.. He always made us smile.. We were all blessed to have him in our lives! Love you cousins!

love,
tom and charlotte

Dana Tatar said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Sherrie. I wish you and your family all the best.

RobinV said...

{{{Big Hugs Sherrie}}}

Stacey said...

I am so sorry for the loss, but you are right. One day y'all will meet again, but until then he can look down on y'all to make sure everything is going great! He's no longer in pain. I'm here if you need a shoulder.

m1ch3113lee said...

I am so sorry for your loss but glad that you were surronded by so many wonderful friends and family that have such awesome memories of your sweetie. Hugs to you and glad that Burt touched so many lives.

guylaine said...

we really gonna missed him very much he was a great man like my dad tyhey were brother and they always love to make people laught now they are together and they are watching over us . we are very bless to have greatest people like them in our life .

they will be missed so much

love you very much and keep their memories alive and they will always be in our life for ever

Lauri {Scrap Attack} said...

I wish I could do something to take the pain away, I feel horrible for your loss! What an amazing feeling to see how many people's lives Burt touched. Big Hugs Sherrie, you have been in my thoughts lately!