Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Living with cancer, again

After having his 3 month CT scan done last Tuesday morning, Dr. K called and said Burt had fluid in his abdomen and that we needed to get it aspirated. The ultrasound/aspiration was done Wednesday afternoon, and Thursday morning we went to his regular appointment with the family practitioner. It was then that we found out that his cancer was back and that it had metastasized. The back pain that we thought was arthritis was not arthritis. I should have known. The pain had been steadily getting worse over the past few weeks and he was losing weight again.

We are stunned. There's simply no other way to put it. The last two CT scans showed no sign of cancer and all of a sudden it's in his liver, his pancreas (what's left of it) and in the lymph nodes.

How does someone go from being in remission for six months with NO SIGN of the cancer to this??

After seeing the oncologist this morning, his options are limited. He has chosen to go back on chemo indefinitely in hopes of stopping the cancers from growing. There is no cure for this terrible disease.

The biggest problem right now is pain management. His pain is constant and unrelenting. If we can get the pain under control he might be able to eat and drink more to regain his strength. He is suffering and I hate that. I hate that the cancer is back. I hate what it's doing to my family and the people who love him.

I live in the house of sadness. Again.

17 comments:

Dana Tatar said...

My heart goes out to you and your family Sherrie. You'll be in my thoughts.

Lauri {Scrap Attack} said...

Oh Sherrie, I am very sorry to hear this! I've been thinking of you and your family and sending prayers your way. I hope they can get Burt the relief he needs so he is not in pain. {Big hugs to you!!}

Nadine Carlier said...

Oh Sherrie, I am so so so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for all of you and especially Burt. Big hugs!

A Sarasota said...

So, so sorry to hear the news. Thoughts and prayers for you and Burt and your family... :hugs:
alecia

Em said...

(((((BIG HUGS))))) and prayers to both of you and your family.

Peggy said...

so very sorry to read this Sherrie - my heart, thoughts and prayers go out to you, Burt and your family. Hope they will be able to get his pain under control as he fights this terrible disease.

Angie said...

Sherry, He ( and your whole family) is in my prayers. I am very sad and sorry to read this.

JJ Sobey said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your husband and your family are going through this again. Prayers that pain management comes swiftly, and that he can have quality of life back.

Mel H. said...

Oh no Sherrie! I'm so sorry. Praying for you and your family!!

Cyndi (cynderellaj) said...

Sherrie - my heart goes out to you and your family. Praying for you, your DH, your family and the doctors.

RobinV said...

I am so sorry Sherrie. If you need anything I am always here for you just let me know. My Thoughts and Prayers are with you, Burt and your family.

mommyof5kidz said...

Sherrie, I am so sorry. My heart saddens for you and your family, and mostly for Burt. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Evie said...

Sherrie I am so sorry! If I could take just a moment of your sadness away I would gladly take it all!

I will keep all of you in my prayers. HUGS to you....

Sophia said...

So sorry to hear this Sherrie...

We are also going through the same thing with my MIL, she has been fighting lunch cancer for a while now, but I think she has given up. She is really in a bad way and we think it has spread everywhere else. She is on oxygen to help with the breathing. Hospice came round tho their house on Monday to make things more comfortable for her..

Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers...

Beth Price said...

I'll be praying for you and your family Sherrie. my heart hurts for you. hugs.

The Mom said...

I'll be thinking of you guys too! I am so sorry to hear this and I wish there was some way to send you a real HUG!!

nfaband said...

Oh No Sherrie ... I'm so sorry to hear this. My prayers for your husband and your family will be constant. My thoughts will be with you continually as your family deals with this terrible illness. Hugs to you my friend.