Saturday, November 27, 2010

It was a good Thanksgiving...

It was a rainy, drizzly day, but it turned out to be a great day. With lots of help from our kids we managed to get everything done that needed to be done for dinner. Friends and family stopped by all day to see Burt and let us know they were thinking of us. They sent food.....oh my, we had so much food!
Burt was not doing too well in the morning, he was nauseous and could not keep his food down. We called hospice and they had us take a medication out of the Comfort Pak and give it to him and thankfully it really helped. I am glad, because for some reason, it was really important to me that he be able to join us at the table for Thanksgiving, even if it was just for a little while. I know he's not smiling in the photo, I think we caught him in a burp......lol....


I have to say we truly have a lot to be thankful for. On Friday, when we got the news that there was no further treatment for his cancer, Anna was really crying and upset, more so than I expected. When she had calmed down a little bit she told us we were going to be grandparents! The look on Burt's face was priceless, he was so surprised, and so was I. But we are sad too, because we realize this precious child will not have a chance to get to know his/her grandpa. It doesn't seem fair.

Burt and I have spent a lot of time just talking in the last few days, about where we've been and our life together, the people we've known. It's been an amazing life! He's been my best friend, my rock, for the last 29 years. I so admire his courage as he faces the hand that life has dealt him. There are moments when he doesn't seem sick anymore, like today, when he was up and rearranging the top shelf of the pantry. He even sent me out to do some Christmas shopping for him. I can fool myself into believing that everything is okay. Then reality comes back and I realize that he's really fighting for every second he has left. I am amazed at the amount of pain the human body can withstand. I watch him as he sleeps and I count the seconds until I see his chest rise again as he takes another breath. He's okay, for now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome picture! We went to my folks for the holiday but drove back home on thanksgiving day.. Congratulations on the BABY news!!!! how exciting and sad too.. We love you all!

tom and charlotte

Nathalie Jerome said...

Hi Auntie Sherry Happy thankgiving to you uncle burt and your family i am really happy for Anna she will be a great mom and congrats to her and her husband. As for uncle burt tell him i love him very much and that he is in my prayers i have been thinking alot about him lately and wondering how he is doing thank you for having this site so i can check on him once in a while and see how his progress is going let him know that we are thinking of him and love him and pray for him. Love u mon oncle Gilbert muahhhhhhh

guylaine said...

i wish you all the prayer to you , and congradulation ANNA-RENEE hope for the best !

we love you all ! from guylaine and family

RobinV said...

So glad you had a good Thanksgiving and Burt could join you at the table. Congrats on the new grandbaby!!!!

{{{hugs}}}

Peggy said...

great family picture. Embrace each moment you have together. Congratulations on the baby news.

mommyof5kidz said...

Sherri...My heart is hurting for you and your family. I do not know you personally, but please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Congratulations on the grand baby.

Terri Moore said...

I love the family picture, Sherrie! And I feel your pain in the words you type ... you have such strength .. love him and treasure the remaining time together. I ache for you both hon. xoxo

nfaband said...

Comforting thoughts and prayers heading your way ... hoping that God will grant you many good moments together to treasure for the future.