Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday

It's not good news. The CT scan showed that the cancer has spread throughout in the liver and there's fluid in his abdomen and lungs. Dr. P has been his primary care physician for almost 20 years and it was really hard for her to tell us the results. She said that we have two options. Dr. K (the oncologist) may know of other treatment for this late stage and we could continue the chemo or we could use hospice. We decided to wait for Dr. K's assessment of the situation before we made a decision.

Dr. K finally came in around 3 and told us what the CT scan showed and that the chemo was now doing more harm to Burt than good, so it's time to stop. There is no treatment for the cancer when it's gone this far. He said the fluid gathering in his abdomen can be drained, and once it's drained he will feel better and be able to breath better. So the decision was made to have the fluid drained tomorrow morning and then he will be able to come home. We will go with hospice as they can control the pain with pain meds, and someone will be there to help with whatever it is we need. I am thankful for this, I don't think I could handle it without help.

I am so sad that it's come to this, I think Burt still feels he can fight this. Hope springs eternal in our family. I have to thank all our family and friends who have stood by us during this trying time. We can feel the love in your hearts and the concern you have for each one of us. We couldn't have made it this far without you all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You all hang in there.. We love you .. We will be hoping and praying everyday..

Love, Tom and Charlotte

Nadine Carlier said...

Sherrie,
I am praying for all of you! {{HUGS}}

Lauri {Scrap Attack} said...

Sherrie I am very sorry to hear this. When you mentioned it the other day I was devastated but this is just horrible news for you and your family! I am glad you have someone to help you through this and that your family is so close. You will need them during this rough spot. I wish there was more I could do to help. I never met Burt but I feel like I know him through you and it breaks my heart to hear of this news. Hugs Sherrie! Prayers coming your way.

Peggy said...

Sherrie, My heart goes out to you. I am praying for you and Burt.

Mel H. said...

I will be praying for you and your family Sherrie!!!!

BrendaB said...

Sherrie, please know that you and your husband are in our thoughts and prayers!

Adrienne Pierce said...

Lauri hit it right on the head, I have never even met you or Burt but I feel like you are a close friend. I find myself in tears,I have "known" you for a year and a half but sharing your memories, updates, and life I feel like I've known you for a life time. My thoughts, my prayers, my love and hope is with you.

Janet's Joy said...

Sherrie I just wanted to let you know that I will be keeping you and Burt in my thoughts and prayers.

Terri Moore said...

My dear friend - I'm so saddened to hear the latest update - saw you pop on late Friday night but I knew you were worn out being on so late. Billy and I are thinking of you, Burt and kids. I'm just an email away - just a couple of hours and I'll be there for whatever you and Burt need. Talk to you soon .. hugz

The Mom said...

Sherrie, I am really sorry that it wasn't the news you were looking for. I will keep you and your whole family in my prayers. HUGS