Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I HATE DIABETES!!!

As most of you know, my DH is a type 1 diabetic now after his bout with pancreatic cancer last year. If you know someone who has this you know how deeply it can affect your life and the lives of those around you. How much of a daily struggle it is to keep everything on an even keel.

Yesterday morning started out normally when the alarm clock went off at 6:15. DH woke me up, I got up and went downstairs to start the coffee. I heard him moving around upstairs so I turned on the news and sat down to eat my cereal. BJ left for work and Dani got into the shower. I went back upstairs to get dressed and saw that he was back in bed. I didn't think anything of it and got dressed for work.

After 10 minutes I thought he should really be getting up by now so he'll have time to eat and get ready for work. When I tried to wake him he would not wake up. I pulled back the sheet and the bed was just drenched with sweat! He had "bottomed out," meaning his blood glucose was too low and he was unconscious. This has happened before so I knew I needed to get some glucose into him quickly.

Usually I can wake him up and make him drink some juice or eat a glucose tablet, which will bring the blood sugar back up in about 15 minutes. But yesterday for some reason we could not wake him up or get his blood sugar back up. We had to call 911. I kept wondering why it was taking so long for him to come out of it this time. What was so different this time from the other times that he bottomed out??

When the paramedics got here it took a while before they got him stabilized enough to transport him to the hospital. His blood pressure was low also. At the hospital, within an hour they had him back to normal. Thank God!

I feel like we dodged a real bullet yesterday. What if I'd just gone to work without checking on him? I feel like I need to be more vigilant with what's going on with Burt. I need to watch him like a hawk to make sure he's okay.

I hope this never happens again. It's WAY too scary.....

No comments: